Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Engulfed

I feel compelled to say something about Hurricane Katrina, but the words seem stuck in my head.

I had to take a break from the news coverage. I know it sounds crazy, but it's almost like I have survivor guilt. There is something eerily nerve-wracking about watching people in such hellish circumstances from my dry air conditioned house. These people have lost everything and don't even know the extent of the devastation because they've literally been cut off from civilization. Is it me, or are disasters of biblical proportions occurring at an ungodly rate these days? It's becoming more than my psyche can process.

I make a comment like that, sounding way too "poor me", and want to kick myself for being so insensitive, ala, "how dare you express "disaster fatigue" when people are suffering." YIKES!! I don't know about you, but I think it's time for the government to start dispensing the somas (remember, from Brave New World?)

I only know of one country - Germany - which has offered help so far. Nice to be appreciated for the help we've offered to so many nations in need. Hopefully more will reach out.

The name Katrina will now be retired from the Hurricane name list, as was Andrew. Good riddance.

At first, when making my donation to the Red Cross, I thought "what possible good will this pittance do", and felt terrible about not being able to give more. But then I realized that if everyone did just a little - just what they could- it would add up to something significant. So if you were thinking of donating, but felt the way I did - don't hesitate - go for it.
(Please be sure to check the FEMA website to ensure you are donating to a reputable organization - there are unspeakable jackals waiting to exploit your kindness.)

I just can't think of anything else to do right now...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home